Milanote's text formatting options are deliberately minimal. This helps you focus on the content rather than how it looks. But when you do need extra formatting there's an easy set of options in the toolbar.
To customize the size and style of your text, highlight a block of text and then select the "Normal text" option in the toolbar. This displays the text style options.
Each text style has it's own shortcut to save you time:
- Large heading: (Mac: ⌘ + Shift + 1 / Windows: Ctrl + Shift + 1)
- Standard heading: (Mac: ⌘ + Shift + 2 / Windows: Ctrl + Shift + 2)
- Normal text: (Mac: ⌘ + Shift + 0 / Windows: Ctrl + Shift + 0)
- Small text: (Mac: ⌘ + Shift + 9 / Windows: Ctrl + Shift + 9)
- Code block: (Mac: ⌘ + > / Windows: Ctrl + >)
- Quote block: (Mac: ⌘ + ' / Windows: Ctrl + ')
- See a full list of shortcuts
Text and highlight color
To change the color or highlight some text, press the Text Color button in the toolbar.
Add simple bullet or numbered lists to a Note card. Just highlight your text and choose a list option from the toolbar. Press 'Tab' to indent a list item and 'Shift + Tab' to un-indent it.
Long form notes
Like word documents, long form notes are great for focussing on an idea or hiding longer notes. How to convert a note into a long-form note:
- Select a Note
- Press Long form note in toolbar
You can remove the background from a note by right-clicking a card and choosing "Make transparent".
Code blocks are a great way to share or save a snippet of code as a reference. Here's how to create one:
- Drag out a Note card from the toolbar
- Select "Normal text" in the toolbar
- Select "Code block" from the text styles menu. You can extend a code block by dragging the bottom right of the card.
Convert text into a link
Highlight the text you want to link from, click the link icon in the toolbar, and paste the URL in the link field and press Enter.